Ezud.com - Trolling Assistance Forum

Ezud.com - Trolling Assistance Forum (http://ezud.com/forum/index.php)
-   Debate (http://ezud.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=213)
-   -   Defining "Scammer" (http://ezud.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1977)

GfMyS0n 10-09-2008 07:33 AM

Defining "Scammer"

Being a scammer or not a scammer on forums is a big thing within cheating communities, but is it needed?
All this hassle of finding scammers, banning them and such.

Heres the definition from Wikipedia:
"A confidence trick or confidence game (also known as a bunko, con, flim flam, gaffle, grift, scam, scheme, or swindle) is an attempt to defraud a person or group by gaining their confidence."

This definition shows us that scamming is an attempt at gaining something from someone. Alot of people are like, omg hes a scammzor ban him. But is it needed?

Scamming can be anything, so if you...
Phish Runescape/Anything
Crack Accounts

You are a scammer.

So why do people get banned if they scam? - mainly because the owner doesn't want them to harm the community again.
I personally think, there is no need for this stupid "scammer" rule, its just an excuse to some people so they can use it against you. I think you either trust someone or you dont, if there is proof they have scammed they SHOULDNT be banned, but just shown that they have scammed which will lower there reputation.

I have scammed at sythe before, yet i have MMed 50M for people, how i work is, if i like you chances are i won't scam you. - i dont do trades no more hence phishing.

So down with this "DO NOT SCAM" rule. Its not fucking sythe.

Stian 10-09-2008 09:04 AM

Phishing is worse than scamming in a regular trade, as you take everything they have and their account also gets locked, and maybe banned if you use it to spam, etc...

Silver Commander 10-09-2008 03:52 PM

I disagree.

Scamming is betraying the trust installed in you by another person. That's terrible. That person trusted you to carry out your end of the deal and you fell through. Now wheres the sport in that? It's one thing to set up a phishing site, where people fall into your trap through their own stupidity, or set up some sort of lie in game where you convince idiots to give you stuff because you can generate P-Hats or something, but in the sort of trades that you're talking about, it's just completely low to scam someone.

The kinds of trades that you're talking about it requires more than stupidity from the person to engage in it. Those people trust you, and probably have a good reason or two for doing so. To break that trust, which is completely an intimate thing. The people you're scamming are part of the community, they are your forummates, and are taking a gamble, with hope in their heart that you'll pull through on your end of the deal.

As I said before, it's just low to scam someone. People who are unable to appreciate honor to their name scam in this way. They don't deserve to be kept around. They violated the trust of one of their forummates, and added a bad light to the community. Who would want to join a community of backstabbing scammers?

Not I.

I think the rule should stand. If you violate the trust of another member by scamming, and furthur making a big deal about it, you should be banned. Lowering rep isn't enough. Treat your community with respect, or get out.

Robin Hood 10-09-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Commander (Post 20736)
I disagree.

Scamming is betraying the trust installed in you by another person. That's terrible. That person trusted you to carry out your end of the deal and you fell through. Now wheres the sport in that? It's one thing to set up a phishing site, where people fall into your trap through their own stupidity, or set up some sort of lie in game where you convince idiots to give you stuff because you can generate P-Hats or something, but in the sort of trades that you're talking about, it's just completely low to scam someone.

The kinds of trades that you're talking about it requires more than stupidity from the person to engage in it. Those people trust you, and probably have a good reason or two for doing so. To break that trust, which is completely an intimate thing. The people you're scamming are part of the community, they are your forummates, and are taking a gamble, with hope in their heart that you'll pull through on your end of the deal.

As I said before, it's just low to scam someone. People who are unable to appreciate honor to their name scam in this way. They don't deserve to be kept around. They violated the trust of one of their forummates, and added a bad light to the community. Who would want to join a community of backstabbing scammers?

Not I.

I think the rule should stand. If you violate the trust of another member by scamming, and furthur making a big deal about it, you should be banned. Lowering rep isn't enough. Treat your community with respect, or get out.

i partly agree with this, it is the people own stupidity in 'stat editors' and other crap that backstabs them in the end XD

Oysto 10-10-2008 07:51 AM

Here's my point of view. If you're stupid enough to get scammed, you deserve it. If you're smart enough not to fall for that shit, gj.

GfMyS0n 10-10-2008 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oysto (Post 20785)
Here's my point of view. If you're stupid enough to get scammed, you deserve it. If you're smart enough not to fall for that shit, gj.

Exactly what im thinking :D
+Rep

halosniper 10-10-2008 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oysto (Post 20785)

yap i aggre and another way i see it is get scammed once is understandable depending on the scam get scammed more then once shame on u

Oysto 10-11-2008 06:16 AM

I've gotten scammed three times, all different types. Now, I know what the scams are. It does take some trial and error not to get scammed. Although you're still kinda stupid if you fall for the same scam more than once.

System Of A Down 11-28-2008 11:26 AM

You are a true (ex)-scammer. Just liek most of us lol..

When I first started RS, I did the infamous I'll trim your Black/Addy armor for free! Back when black sets were 10k, this was easy money. I did this between barb. village and fally, because people often walked alone there. Then I moved to making lvl 3s named.. M0d Stev3n and so on, and messaging players about their account being in danger, and only me saving them. But I had to log onto their acc.

After, I scammed a level 95, I was in heaven. (I STILL have it, but tis a 115 now), I'd give the acc to someone rich. and say I'm quitting. They'd trade all their stuff to my account, and I'd be instantly rich after I recovered it. (The most I got was a white phat)

Then I quit, came back this year and got a few more main accs (100-155s) and realize dmaking money the old ways was insanely hard. So I earne dmoney legitly, and now have 50m and a 3a kite. Woot.

Scamming is taking advantage of others stupidity, To be honest that definiton is extremely vague. I don't know why people scam now, because it is near impossible to trasnfer money. I don't now because it sucks, I've lost tons, but made tons too. RS is changed a ton (no merching) so basically every old way of doing things is ruined, and must be re-done.

Glitching is my new art. With TO I found it extremely fun to glitch and be a respected member of a community (R.I.P. 700 posts). It is much more fulfilling to glitch, and you don't get cussed out every time you make money!

Vista 11-28-2008 11:47 AM

We already have our issues with scamming here.
And if we don't enforce it at all, it will turn into Sythe.
Even with the tiny black market we have.

And I'm sure nobody wants this to be like Sythe.