View Single Post
Old 01-13-2009, 05:22 PM
Ezudian

Ultralomaniac can only hope to improve
Send a message via AIM to Ultralomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGopher View Post
1. Do you believe capital punishment is morally just?
No. "Why do we kill people to show people that kill people that killing is wrong?" "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" Need more quotes?

2. Do you think capital punishment should be altered to make it more effective?
Yes, It should be removed completely. It has been proven that states that don't implement the death penalty have lower crime rates than states that do. Also in my honest opinion, I think that sitting in jail for your entire life is 1,000 times worse than dying. Death is just a relief. Boredom by sitting in jail for your entire life with no hopes of parole and just sitting there "rotting away" is suffocating. Why do so many inmates try to commit suicide? It's because jail is a far better punishment. I would take the death penalty over life in prison any day.

3. Do you think capital punishment should be implemented more?
No.

By the questions you asked, I can safely infer that you support the death penalty. Sometimes you have to look at a situation from both sides to choose the best option. Most people who support the death penalty just look at it from the victim's point of view. Yes, if you are the victim, you will want revenge (usually by the worst thing possible, which most people consider to be death) but if you look at it from the inmate's point of view, you will be lucky to get the relief of being sent to death row.

We kill people to show that it is wrong because it signifies the end. this means that if you do something that would sentence you to death, it is the last thing you will ever do, and you will never make anything of yourself

Quote:
The average murder rate for the 38 states with capital punishment was 5.22 murders per 100,000 people. The average murder rate for the 13 states (including the District of Columbia) without capital punishment was 5.96. So in fact the states with capital punishment had a lower murder rate, but not dramatically lower. Not enough to really prove anything.
so no, states with capital punishment have less crime rates.

Lets say you robbed a store and killed the store manager, and you thusly get sentenced life to prison. you're 22 years old. you live the rest of your life in jail, and die at the age of 62 from heart attack from all the shitty food you had to eat all those years
You spend 40 years in prison
You know what 40 years in prison means?
1 year in prison= 19,308$ to house one inmate.
40 years in prison= 772,320$ of my tax money that had to go to keeping you in a cage.
Is this fair to the taxpayers? inmates don't have to pay taxes.

As for inmate wanting to be killed:
Why does it matter?
for this reason, the death penalty should be painful, not something that can best be described as "a lethal overdose of barbituates and narcotics."
Bring back the noose.